After serving in the Louisville Brigade during the Mexican-American war, William Larue Weller returned home to his native Kentucky. His family had helped settle Kentucky in the late 18th century, and his grandfather, Daniel Weller, purchased a distillery in Nelson County in 1800. (When Daniel Weller died, his estate was inventoried and was said to contain three whiskey barrels, two stills, one mash kettle and numerous dry kegs.)
Upon his return to Kentucky following the war, W.L. Weller joined the family business and began working at his grandfather's distillery. Weller had a sharp palate and a keen sense for business and in 1849, he introduced the first bourbon ever that used wheat as its secondary grain instead of rye. Wheated bourbons (including Pappy Van Winkle and Larceny Bourbon, which eventually imitated W.L. Weller's mashbill) have a softer and more gentle flavor profile as compared to bourbons that use rye as their secondary grain. Wheated bourbons also have a slightly sweeter taste. Weller's bourbon was incredibly popular in antebellum America and ultimately forced him to place a green thumbprint on his invoices and barrels as a certificate of authenticity.
Made in homage to one of bourbon's original aristocrats, W.L. Weller 12 Year Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon continues to be crafted using Weller's wheated bourbon recipe. Aged for a minimum of 12 years, far longer than most wheated bourbons. This whiskey features aromas of creamy vanilla, caramel and molasses that gives way to notes of candied corn, ripe fruits, cocoa powder and dried fruits on the palate. With a finish, which is elegant and soft, has hints of mint, fruit and vanilla this wheated bourbon is not to be overlooked. W.L. Weller 12 Year Old Bourbon earned the Double Gold Medal at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2019.
Aromas of lanolin, almond, creamed corn and toasty vanilla. The mid-palate flavor is heavily wheated, layered and moderately sweet. Long, oaky, and intensely smooth finish.
- 2019 Silver Medal - New York World Spirits Competition
- 2019 Gold Medal - Whiskies of the World
- 2019 Double Gold Medal - North American Bourbon & Whiskey Competition
- 2019 Silver Medal - Los Angeles International Spirits Competition
- 2019 Silver Medal - American Whiskey Masters
- 2019 Double Gold Medal - San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- 2019 Bronze Medal - World Whiskies Awards
- 2019 Silver Medal - Denver International Spirits Competition
- 2018 Double Gold Medal, Best Straight Bourbon - New York International Spirits Competition
- 2018 BEST IN SHOW; Best of Division; Best of Category; Gold Medal - Los Angeles International Spirits Competition
- 2018 Double Gold Medal - San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- 2018 "Great Value" - 93 points - Ultimate Spirits Challenge
- 2018 Gold Medal - Denver International Spirits Competition
- 2015 Silver Outstanding Medal - International Wine & Spirits Competition
- 2015 Trophy Finalist; "Great Value;" "Tried & True" - 96 points - Ultimate Spirits Challenge
- 2015 Gold Medal - San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- 2015 BTI International Review of Spirits - "Exceptional" - 94 points
- 2015 Bronze Medal, Best Bourbon - Age Statement - World Whiskies Awards
- 2014 Silver Outstanding Medal - International Wine & Spirits Competition
- 2014 Double Gold Medal - San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- 2005 Silver Medal - San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- 2005 Silver Medal - International Spirits Challenge
- 2004 Silver Medal - International Spirits Challenge
- 2003 Gold Medal - San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- 2003 Gold Medal - International Wine & Spirits Competition
- 2003 Silver Medal - International Wine & Spirits Competition
- 2003 Bronze Medal - International Spirits Challenge
- 2002 Gold Medal - International Wine & Spirits Competition
- 2002 Gold Medal - International Spirits Challenge
- 2001 Silver Medal - San Francisco World Spirits Competition
Unfortunately, we can't ship to PO Boxes and APO addresses.
NOTE: Not Eligible for Return
21+ Signature required
- Wooden Cork
- anniversary gift
- screw top
fantastic entry bourbon
Excellent price and delivery was done promptly. Wooden Cork does a remarkable job of making allocated products available at a reasonable secondary price.
My husband has been hunting for this bottle for ages and when he passed an extremely difficult test for his career, I knew just how to celebrate. The shipping was insanely quick and the added touch of having the bottle engraved was worth every penny.
Hard to find bourbons at a great price shipped to your door in days!
After a close friend died unexpectedly, we ordered a bottle of Weller 12 from Wooden Cork per the deceased's wishes, to place in his casket. Although it was a rush order, Wooden Cork engraved the bottle for us and had it to us within 24 hours. It was beautifully done, and we cannot thank you enought! HIGHLY impressed and grateful. Thank you SO MUCH for helping us out in this time of distress.